The Many Hats of Jennie Hango
I own, and wear, a lot of hats. If you're interested only in hearing
about the different hats that I own, then look at my hat collection page. I like to blame it on Monty
Python's Meaning of Life, where someone says, "People are not
wearing enough hats." Words to live by. So what does this have to do
with my bio, besides saying that I should've been a milliner? I wear
a lot of different hats in my everyday life; I do lots of
different things. The different hats I wear:
Dancer. Seamstress. Armorer. Quilter. Friend. Reader.
Programmer. Unicyclist. Musician. Cook. Cat-fancier. Bookworm.
Geologist. Software Engineer. Gamer. Skater. Bicyclist. Band
Geek. Hacker. Pinball player. Loner. SysAdmin. RSI Sufferer.
Cannon fodder. Techie
I have at least this many physical hats strewn about the
apartment. I think I'd be going too far if I assigned each of those
hats to a different role.....
I also have a couple of nicknames that may require some explanation.
At Mudd, if your username is pronounceable (or even almost
pronounceable), you run a good chance of being Usernamed. My username
was, is, and always will be jhango. When said aloud,
this rhymes with tango or mango. The h is
silent, and hence my username is most definitely pronounceable.
Someone who shall remain nameless thought it would
be cool to always call me by my username, and it stuck. A number of
people from Mudd still refer to me this way. A spin-off from this
nickname is Boutros-Boutros Jhango. I applied to,
and was accepted by, both M.I.T. and Caltech for grad school. Nameless
was impressed, but he thought I could've done better. He
said, "Wow, Jhango, you got into both M.I.T. _and_ Caltech. Just
think what you could've done if you weren't a blonde. You could've
been Secretary General of the United Nations. Boutros-Boutros
Jhango!" This utterance was pretty damn funny, and the name stuck for
the rest of the semester. I was Boutros-Boutros Jhango, Boutros, or
even BBJ. Sigh..... How did I manage to miss a normal nickname like
"J.S." or "Jenn" or something like that? :^)
Things to see, people to do....
Eventually, I plan to have something written about all of the
different things I'm involved in; for now, just a few are started:
- English Country and Contra Dancing
- Very cool types of folk dance.
- Music I Play
- I play flute, piccolo, mallet-keyboard instruments, and
recorder. No links to anyplace yet, but I'm lookin'
- People I know who might have
cool web pages
- Friends and family-- even better than a calling circle!
- It's not just a hobby, it's a way of life!
- MIT Gilbert &
- Theatre is fun! I'm in the orchestra, where I play any of flute,
piccolo, or percussion. I also help out with set building &
assembling, where I get to play with Power Tools! :^)
- It finally happened. I'm on my way to becoming a Magic junkie.
Well, probably not any more, but I proudly(?) admit that I play
and own cards.
- Some recipes, but mostly links to other sites with recipes.
- All sorts of stuff. My on-line photo album with various
different pictures: people, places, things.
- Electronic Books
- Find your favourite out-of-copyright books on line.
- Geology and Geotechnical Engineering
- This is different stuff about geology, from my interests to
different web and gopher sites I've found.
- The Electronic Frontier
- Dedicated to keeping freedom of speech on the Internet, among
- My resume is in hypertext. It looks best on a browser that
supports tables, but it looks fine in browsers that don't support
tables as well.
Last modified on Tue Oct 2 14:50:41 EDT 2012
by Jennie Hango