Subject: possible project
To: [email-masked]

--text follows this line--
One of the things that interests me is the work that you do with
bilinguals and monolinguals and the ways in which they process
language (syllables vs. morphemes) depending on their 'native'
language.  Recently Tom told me that you think that there is no such
thing as a true bilingual because people only parse one way, even if
they were raised speaking two languages, one that is syllabic and one
that is morphemic (I hope I'm getting this right).  Tom suggested a
project that I might do in Paris that could be helpful to this theory,
and is related to a project he is doing here.  Currently Tom is
exploring how the format of written language (large spaces between
phrases and within words) effects reading comprehension.  He has
discovered that placing small spaces between morphemes in words
facilitates comprehension, while placing them between syllables does
not.  We could run simillar experiments on native French speakers and
on French-English 'bilinguals' to see how their comprehension is
effected.  This sounds like an interesting project to me and one that
I would like to work on.  What are your thoughts on it?