Path: bloom-picayune.mit.edu!enterpoop.mit.edu!snorkelwacker.mit.edu!americast.com!americast.com!americast-post Newsgroups: americast.twt.metro From: americast-post@AmeriCast.Com Organization: American Cybercasting Approved: americast-post@AmeriCast.com Subject: Montgomery executive offers $22.6 million in cuts Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 16:20:05 EST Message-ID: Lines: 70 \SE B;METROPOLITAN \HD Montgomery executive offers $22.6 million in cuts \BY Matt Neufeld \CR THE WASHINGTON TIMES Montgomery County Executive Neal Potter yesterday proposed $22.6 million in budget cuts to deal with the state's decision last week to end $27 million in Social Security payments to county teachers. The county had cut $5 million from its reserve fund in anticipation of the Social Security cut, and Mr. Potter yesterday proposed taking an additional $15.4 million from the reserve. He would also take $3 million from county schools, $3 million from county government, $600,000 from Montgomery College and $600,000 from the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission. Mr. Potter does not plan any layoffs, furloughs, or increases in taxes or fees, said Gene Lynch, the executive's chief assistant. Officials from the county Office of Management and Budget unveiled the cuts at yesterday's County Council meeting. The $22.6 million in cuts announced yesterday would bring to $60 million the amount the county has absorbed this year in cuts by the General Assembly, council members were told. These cuts have caused "significant" damage to the county's ability to deliver services, officials said. The latest cuts are the most the county could ask for now, officials said, and any additional reductions would have "extremely" serious implications on governmental operations. Budget Director Robert Kendal told the council the situation is bleak. "I don't know if we can be confident at all that we're out of the woods in regards to the state situation," he said. The council is scheduled to discuss Mr. Potter's proposal Tuesday and vote on it Dec. 8. Budget officials did not specify where the $3 million in cuts to county government would fall. School Superintendent Paul Vance last night said it is too early to say where the school cuts would be made because the council could change Mr. Potter's plan. "I hope the council, in its review of the county executive's recommendations, will improve upon that figure and hold the school system accountable for less," Mr. Vance said. If the cut stayed at $3 million, that would be "very difficult for us," he said. "I don't know where I'm going to find it. If that's the choice, we're powerless to do anything about it." School board member Fran Brenneman echoed Mr. Vance when asked about the schools taking $3 million more in cuts. "If we do, I don't know where we go to take the money at this point," Mrs. Brenneman said. "We've been asked to cut so many times. We just made a $6.5 million cut, and that's through a hiring freeze." The school system has cut back on textbooks, and further cuts would "get into things that hurt the classroom," she said. That would prompt the board to look at the unpopular prospect of charging fees for services not mandated by state law. This article is copyright 1992 The Washington Times. Redistribution to other sites is not permitted except by arrangement with American Cybercasting Corporation. For more information, send-email to usa@AmeriCast.COM