Subject: SIPB computer tours
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 00:09:38 EDT

Hello,
I got suckered into doing this year's SIPB tours.  The tours show off the
interesting computer resources and labs around campus.  It gives the frosh
a chance to see the neat computer stuff and it gives research groups a
chance to show stuff to potential uropers.  This year's tour will be on
Monday, September 5, from 7pm till about 10pm.

Abbe, last year's tour sucker, suggested that I ask you about people around the
lab who might be interested in doing demos.  Could you suggest some people who
might be interested in doing demos or who could give me names of other people
who might be interested in doing demos or something?  It would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bean

From: [email-masked]
Aug 1994 00:09:47 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB computer tours
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 00:09:47 EDT

Hello,

I'm coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  The tour shows the freshmen
the interesting computer stuff and labs around campus and gives research groups
the chance to show off their work to potential uropers.  This year's tour will
be on Monday, September 5, from 7pm until around 10pm.  The tour will split into
small groups and visit various locations.

Abbe, last year's tour sucker, suggested that I ask you about people around the
media lab who might be interested in doing demos.  Could you suggest some
people who'd be interested in demoing their work or who could give me names of
other people who'd be interested?  Any help you can give me would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Lara Karbiner

From: [email-masked]
Aug 1994 00:10:02 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Tours
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 00:10:02 EDT

Hello,

I'm coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This is a annual tour for 
incoming students to show them various interesting computer resources and labs 
around campus.  This gives the freshmen the opportunity to see the neat hardware
around campus, and it gives different research groups an opportunity to show
what they're doing to potential UROPers.

This year's tour will be on Monday (Labor Day) September 5 from 7pm until
approximately 10pm.  The tour will meet and then divide into small groups and
visit various locations.

The coordinator of last years tours suggested that you might be interested in
showing off various Athena things in e40.  Would you be interested in giving a
demo or something.  It would basically involve sticking around Monday night,
giving a demo to the groups and answering questions.  If you can't do this, can
you recommend anyone else I might talk to?

If you are interested in giving a demo, how long would it last and what group
size would you like for your demo?  I'll try to schedule the tours accordingly,
although it depends in part on how many stops there are and how many people show
up for the tour.

Thank you,
Lara Karbiner

AI-4.10) for [email-masked] id AA22923; Wed, 17 Aug 94 11:48:11 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Andre' DeHon)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 11:48:07 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB computer tours
Usnail: 305 Memorial Dr., Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: dorm (617) 225-9583  office (617) 253-5868
Organization: MIT AI Lab

        I suspect you can get cat and Ian Horswill (her supervisor --
[email-masked] -- who just sent you the story about the coffee pot) to show
robot vision stuff and mobile robots.  Ian is probably a good contact, in
general, for getting various robotics demos.  

        Make sure you visit COG (see Cindy Ferrell ([email-masked]) if
Ian and cat can't set it up for you).

        See if you can include the micro-Robots, too ([email-masked], if
you need to contact someone in particular).

        Definitely get Phil Alvelda (remember from the student workshop?
[email-masked]) to talk about micro-displays and show off his glasses.

        Rich Lethin could probably arrange something for the J-Machine
(Dally's 1,024-node parallel computer) ([email-masked]).
        The Alewife people can demo their machine, too (try
[email-masked] or perhaps [email-masked]), but they are LCS (but
you'll probably be tracking down LCS people, too).  

        Robert Ringrose (perhaps you know him from assassin/patrol?
[email-masked]), can probably setup some cool graphics demos and
perhaps some demos of Raibert's legged robots.  

        ...Jake could demo HyperCode and talk about Global Cooperative
Computing (I'm somewhat serious, you guys might want to think about it and
see makes sense at this point and fits into the schedule).  

        Mallery could talk about government, politics, email, and the web
(...but that might not be the something to expose frosh to :-)).

                                                Andre'

00
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Tours 
In-Reply-To: Your message of Wed, 17 Aug 1994 00:10:02 -0400.
             <[email-masked]> 
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 12:08:49 EDT
From: Janet M Daly <[email-masked]>

Hi - I'd be happy to do the tour.  It will be my fourth in 5 years-
a September tradition!

I can set up a quick 1/2 hour talk and small walk - I remember
the problems involved in shuttling people around campus.  I can 
accommodate up to 32 in the VCenter in E40.  Please let me know what else you
need from me.

------------------------------------------------
Janet Daly
Information Officer, Academic Computing Services
MIT Information Systems
E40-358f
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02139

voice:  1 617 253 0194
fax:    1 617 258 8736
email:  [email-masked]  

Aug 1994 18:10:55 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:10:54 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello.

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

Would you be interested in demoing your work for the tour?  This would involve
staying around Monday night, giving a demo to the groups and answering
questions.  It would be much appreciated if you could manage this, and if not,
could you suggest someone else who might be interested?

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

Aug 1994 18:11:07 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:11:07 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hey daN,

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10.

Last year Joe was going to show people around the 6.001 lab for the tours.  I
asked him if he would do that again this year, and he told me to ask you
instead.  So, would you be interested in showing groups of students around the
.001 lab Monday night?  If not, do you know anyone who would be interested?  It
would be much appreciated.

If so, what's a good group size for that, and how long would your demo be? 
Final arrangements will ultimately depend on the number of stops on the tour and
how many people show up for it.

Thanks,
Bean

Aug 1994 18:11:21 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:11:21 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

During last year's tours you helped out by giving a demo for your group.  Would
you be interested in giving a demo again this year?  If not, is there someone
else in your group who might want to help?  It would involve staying around
Monday night, giving a demo to the groups and answering questions.  It would be
much appreciated if you could help.

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

Aug 1994 18:11:21 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:11:21 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

During last year's tours you helped out by giving a demo for your group.  Would
you be interested in giving a demo again this year?  If not, is there someone
else in your group who might want to help?  It would involve staying around
Monday night, giving a demo to the groups and answering questions.  It would be
much appreciated if you could help.

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

Aug 1994 18:11:45 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:11:45 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

During last year's tours you helped out by giving a demo for your group.  Would
you be interested in giving a demo again this year?  If not, is there someone
else in your group who might want to help?  It would involve staying around
Monday night, giving a demo to the groups and answering questions.  It would be
much appreciated if you could help.

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Aug 1994 18:12:03 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:12:02 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello.

I'm coordinating this year's SIPB computer tours for incoming students.  We'll
be taking freshmen and incoming graduate students to see various interesting
computer labs and resources on campus.  As this seems the tradition, I'd like to
invite you to tell neat computer stories after the tours.

This year's tours will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so, with refreshments and stories afterwards.

Could you let me know if you'd be interested in speaking after the tours?  It
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bean

Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 18:21:52 -0400
From: Dan Winship <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
@pickled-herring.MIT.EDU>
Subject: sipb tours

Um... well, what is there to see there?

And I can't do it then.

Several of the other LAs are rabidly anti-SIPB, so they wouldn't be any
good. Looking through the list, you might want to try Bridget Spitznagel
or Eric Richard since they're both sipb prospectives, right?

-- Dan

PS - but i still don't think there's anything interesting to see there...

Aug 1994 20:12:28 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 20:12:27 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Well, sure there's not much to see, but probably anyone who would go on a sipb
tour is a computer weenie anyway and would find it interesting :-).  Actually, I
didn't have anything like a long stop in mind.  More of a this is where you'll
be if you take .001, this is the kind of machine, this is what they do type of
thing.  Anyhow, thanks a lot.  I'll try Bridget and Eric.

Bean

Aug 1994 20:15:38 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 20:15:38 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello,

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10.

Last year Joe was going to show people around the 6.001 lab for the tours.  I
asked him if he would do that again this year, and he told me to ask Dan Winship
instead.  Dan isn't going to be around Monday, so he suggested I ask you two. 
So, would you be interested in showing groups of students around the .001 lab
Monday night, and maybe saying a bit about .001 and the machines?  If not, do
you know anyone who would be interested?  It would be much appreciated.

If so, what's a good group size for that, and how long would your demo be? 
Final arrangements will ultimately depend on the number of stops on the tour and
how many people show up for it.

Thanks,
Bean

From: [email-masked]
00
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 22:36:15 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

To: beaners
cc: ericolaf
Subject: re: sipb tours

> This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10.

Hmm.  APO (*my* R/O committment) will be just about done setting up
for Reg Day by then, but we start setting up Book Exchange right
afterward.  It's too early to be sure, but I think we'll have enough
manpower that I can punt it for a good cause.  :)

> would you be interested in showing groups of students around the .001 lab

I'd be fairly interested.  (Let me know if anyone is wildly
interested, or if I can otherwise waffle until I find out the Book
Exchange situation...)

> what's a good group size for that, and how long would your demo be?

Let's see.
The group has to be small enough that (a) they can all hear me and
(b) they can all see what I point at.  For that I'd guess not more
than 20.
If you want a demo of actual Scheme, add (c) they all can see a
computer screen.  For that I'd say not more than 10.  (And I'd have to
practice the demo beforehand.  I've seen too many profs screw up
spontaneous demos...)

Length depends on how "in-depth" you want the tour to be.  I'd guess a
minimal tour (e.g. "these are snakes, they're real nice, the class
that uses them teaches you foo bar baz; the other side of the lab is
where you learn to build a computer out of parts" etc.) would take
less than five minutes.  I know more about 6.001 (et al.) than about
the machines it uses, so if you want a deep machine-type tour from
someone who really knows the snakes inside and out, it's not me.. :)

bridget

P.S. (Did Dan mention whether the combination has been changed from
last term yet?)

Date: Sat, 27 Aug 1994 11:19:47 -0500
To: Lara <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked] (Ian Horswill)
Subject: Re: sipb tours

I should be able to do it, although I should double-check with my wife.
Cat, it would be good, but not necessary for you or Tito or Kinu to show
up, just to give you folks some visibility and remind students that they
can do research too.

The amount of time we need is quite flexible; depends on how many questions
people want to ask.  It can be anything from about 30 seconds to ten or
fifteen minutes.  Number of people is more of a limitation.  People need to
be able to fit comfortably into the playroom while still leaving room for
the robots to move around.

-ian

Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 14:14:58 -0400
From: Jeffrey I. Schiller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Return-Reciept-To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: sipb tours

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> This year's tours will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
> so, with refreshments and stories afterwards.
>
> Could you let me know if you'd be interested in speaking after the tours?  It
> would be much appreciated.

Just to confirm, I can do my story hour after the tours.

                          -Jeff

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 16:04:20 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB tour

Uh, sure.  Tell me when. 
I talked to Ian and it's ok.

cat

20:03:32 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 1994 20:03:31 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello.

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

Would you be interested in demoing your work for the tour?  This would involve
staying around Monday night, giving a demo to the groups and answering
questions.  It would be much appreciated if you could manage this, and if not,
could you suggest someone else who might be interested?

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

From: [email-masked] (Mark Torrance)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 13:17:23 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  sipb tours

I won't be around that day, but I would suggest you talk to Ian
Horswill at [email-masked]; he has a great robot demo he can show.
Thanks for asking; I would love to help next year, please keep me
on your list.

--Mark

20:39:59 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 20:39:59 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hello,

I'm supposed to be coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This tour takes
the incoming students around and shows them the interesting computer resources
and labs around campus.  It gives freshmen a chance to look at the neat hardware
and it gives various research groups the chance to show off their work to
potential uropers.

This year's tour will be on Monday, September 5th from 7pm until around 10 or
so.  The plan is to divide the tour up into lots of small groups and visit a
bunch of different locations.

Generally for the tour, we try to get at least a few people in each of e40, the
AI lab and the Media lab.  However, none of the people I sent mail to in the
Media lab have sent mail back, so I have no stops there.  Someone recommended
that I send mail to you and ask if you would like to demo the ALIVE project for
your group.  If not, would you know anyone else in your group who would be
interested in demoing it?  It would involve staying around Monday night, giving
a demo to the groups and answering questions.  It would be much appreciated if
you could help, especially on such short notice.

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

20:43:45 -0400
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 20:43:45 EDT
From: Lara <[email-masked]>

Hey Thad,

Thanks for agreeing to demo ALIVE for the tours.  This year's tours
will be on Monday, September 5, from 7pm until approximately 10pm. 
The tours will divide into small groups and visit various locations.
 Basically, what it would involve is staying around Monday night,
giving a demo to each of the groups and answering questions.

If you can do this, what group size can you handle?  How long would your demo
be?  Final arrangements for the tour will depend on the number of stops and the
number of freshmen who show up.

Thanks,
Bean

From: Thad Starner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 94 04:52:06 -0400
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
@oliver.MIT.EDU>
Subject: sipb tours
Reply-To: [email-masked]

        ALIVE would be in room 368.  Group size for ALIVE is about 10+-
people.  Time would depend on how many people would want to try it,
and how many people ask about the funny thing sprouting from my eye.
I'd say 20-30min...given that these will be budding nerds fresh from
high school, probably closer to the 30min mark (all the specs, what
machines, why this is better than HMDs, "but why didn't you write it
in assembly code", etc.).

                                                Thad

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 94 09:54:44 -0400
From: Randy Sargent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: computer tour
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Sorry for the long delay in relying;  I was out of town.

I can't make it Monday, so I sent mail to my group to see if anyone else
would be willing to host the tour of the LEGO lab.  My hope is that someone
will reply.  Good luck with this year's tour!

-- Randy

From: [email-masked]
:07 EDT
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: Lara <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: sipb tours 
In-Reply-To: Your message of Mon, 29 Aug 94 20:39:59 -0400.
             <[email-masked]> 
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 94 23:17:04 EDT

Hi, sorry I didn't respond to your message earlier but I just got back
from vacation.

As you've already heard, we can probably handle a medium group size
(10 or so people, although I successfully demoed it for a group of
25+- 7 to 13 year olds over the summer. The demo can last as little as
15 minutes and as long as an hour, if we show everything.

I'm planning to be there Monday night with Thad.

Ken