Subject: Re: Missing Webster Daemon

From: Jim Davis <jrd>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 87 16:14:01 EST

From halazar Mon Jan 19 11:35:09 1987
	
	I killed it when I installed the new code into /projects/webster.
	Restarting puts the message into /usr/adm/messages of :
	websterd[pid]: bind: address already in use.  
	
	Upon further research, I found that Obvious (Lisp machine) has 3
	connections (FIN_WAIT_2) to port 3012, the webster port.  I assume
	that this is the cause for the error.  I don't know how to fix the
	problem, short of rebooting.  Sorry.  That isn't to say there isn't a
	fix.
	
For a short while there was a bug on Obvious where it was keeping ports
open after use.  If I killed the connections from Obvious, could you
try again?

Surely there is some way to start Websterd forcibly, killing any rivals,
without rebooting...