Subject: Plans

From: Jim Davis <jrd>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 17:52:11 EST

George and I had a talk.  We found more bugs in the existing dictionary code
(which we henceforth call Version 0).  I reported them to bug-dictionary, if
you are curious.

Here are George's plans for now:
1) make the  protocol definition more explicit
  MODE
   ? response for invalid mode, bad value for mode
  MODES
  VERSION
  PRONUNCIATION

2) document format of Dictionary as you discover it.

3) implement the features
 new modes:
   DWIM
   FORMAT

4) Define a server for an inverted dictionary.  The basic command would be
to find the list of all words which are pronounced in a supplied manner.  It
will probably look like "WILD".  This may, or may not, be the same server as
the DICTIONARY server, at George's option.  This requires constructing a
program to build an inverted table from ARPABET to words using the existing
files.

5) I will make a translator from the Webster pronunciation codes
to ARPABET, in Lisp.  We may use this to build the tables for 4.