Subject: Some bugs in server

From: Jim Davis <jrd>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 03:33:16 EST

I think it is not correctly parsing some of the fields, resulting
in the following bizarre output:
Apparent bugs in the DICTIONARY server.

BUG: ] comes before end of etymology in 1, no closing ] in 3.  What is
that X doing there?

1. ball \'bo.l\ n [ME bal, fr. ON bo:llr; akin to OE bealluc testis, OHG 
   ba]lla ball, OE bula bull 1: a round or roundish body or mass : as 1a: a 
   spherical or ovoid body used in a game or sport 1b: EARTH, GLOBE 1c: a 
   spherical or conical projectile; also : projectiles used in firearms 1d: a 
   roundish protuberant anatomic structure; esp : the rounded eminence at the 
   base of the thumb or great toe 2: a game in which a ball is thrown, kicked, 
   or struck; esp : BASEBALL 3a: the delivery of the ball {curve ~} 3b: a 
   pitched baseball not struck at by the batter that fails to pass through the 
   strike zone
2. ball vb : to form or gather into a ball - ball.er n
3. ball n [F bal, fr. OF, fr. baller to dance, fr. LL ballare, fr. Gk 
   (Xballizein; akin to Skt balbali-ti he whirls 1: a large formal gathering 
   for social dancing 2: a good time : PICNIC

BUG - what is that capitalized Dog doing in def 3?

1. dog \'do.g\ \'do.-.gli-k\ n [ME, fr. OE docga] often attrib  1a: a 
   highly variable carnivorous domesticated mammal (Canis familiaris) prob. 
   descended from the common wolf; broadly : any animal of the dog family 
   (Canidae) to which this mammal belongs 1b: a male dog 2a: a worthless 
   fellow : 2b: CHAP, FELLOW {a gay ~} 3a: any of various usu. simple 
   mechanical devices for holding, gripping, or fastening consisting of a 
   spike, rod, or bar 3b: ANDIRON 4a: SUN DOG 4b: WATER DOG 4c: FOGBOW 5: 
   affected stylishness or dignity cap  6: either of the constellations Canis 
   Major or Canis Minor pl, slang  7: FEET slang  8: something inferior of its 
   kind pl  9: RUIN {go to the ~s} cap  10: any of various American Indian 
   peoples - dog.like aj
2. dog vt or dogged;  or dog.ging 1a: to hunt or track like a hound 1b: to 
   worry as if by dogs : HOUND 2: to fasten with a dog
3. dog av : EXTREMELY, UTTERLY {dog-tired}Dog \'do.g\  : - a communications 
   code word for the letter d

Maybe not a bug, but why are there two pronunciations here.
Note also misplaced ]
No number 1 begining first def.  Maybe that's because there's only one def,
but then why was the second included?

ro.man \ro--'ma:n\ n [ME, fr. OF romans romance] : a metrical romance1. 
   Ro.man \'ro--m*n\ n [partly fr. ME, fr. OE, fr. L Romanus, adj. & n., fr. 
   Roma Rome; pa]rtly fr. ME Romain, fr. OF, fr. L Romanus 1: a native or 
   resident of Rome 2: ROMAN CATHOLIC - often taken to be offensive not cap  
   3: roman letters or type
2. Roman aj 1: of or relating to Rome or the people of Rome; specif : 
   characteristic of the ancient Romans {~ fortitude} 2: LATIN not cap  3: 
   UPRIGHT - used of numbers and letters whose capital forms are modeled on 
   ancient Roman inscriptions 4: of or relating to the see of Rome or the 
   Roman Catholic Church 5: having a semicircular intrados {~ arch} 6: having 
   a prominent slightly aquiline bridge {~ nose}

BUG has no number.  Maybe that's because it's solitary.

dog.house \'do.g-.hau.s\ n : a shelter for a dog : in a state of disfavor - 
   in the doghouse

---

From: halazar
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 12:18:41 -0500

It seems unclear to me that we aren't just seeing database bugs, especially
since we KNOW that some of our files are garbled.  Get the files off
sri-nic, which have reportedly been fixed, then see.

						-Mike