Subject: Bugs in server

From: Jim Davis <jrd>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 87 17:43:38 EST

There are many bugs in the supplied version of the server.  Here is an
example, the entry for HELP

1. help \'help, South also 'hep\ vb [ME helpen, fr. OE helpan; akin to OHG 
   helfan to help, Lith (Xshachek>elpti 1: to give assistance to : AID 2a: 
   REMEDY, RELIEVE archaic  2b: RESCUE, SAVE 2c: to get (oneself) out of a 
   difficulty 3a: to be of use to : BENEFIT 3b: to further the advancement of 
   : PROMOTE 4a: to change for the better : MEND 4b: to refrain from {couldn't 
   ~ laughing} 4c: to keep from occurring : PREVENT 5: to serve with food or 
   drink esp. at a meal 6: to appropriate for the use of (oneself) : to be of 
   use or benefit {every little bit ~s} accomplish an end, HELP carries a 
   strong implication of advance toward an objective; AID suggests the evident 
   need of help or relief and so imputes weakness to the one aided and 
   strength to the one aiding; ASSIST suggests a secondary role in the 
   assistant or a subordinate character in the assistance : cannot but : I 
   swear it - cannot help but  SYN syn HELP, AID, ASSIST mean to supply what 
   is needed to

Here is what is in the database:

F:help;1;;;;vb;;
P:'help, (XSouth also)X 'hep
E:ME (Xhelpen)X, fr. OE (Xhelpan)X; akin to OHG (Xhelfan)X to help, Lith (
C:Xs|B(Qhachek)Qelpti)X

Note the open paren at end of E:  It is the beginning of an overstrike
sequence to enter X font.  Note also the use of (Q to get the hachek
character).

Why are these ^M in here, anyway?

Note also that the Webster database includes an italicized comment in the
middle of the pronunciation:  A Trap and Snare for the unwary.!

The Synonyms are messed up.  They are listed at the end, which is good,
but it included the Continuation lines of the Synonyms in the definition
instead of in the Synonym info.

D:6;;;vt;to appropriate for the use of (oneself)
D:0;;;vi;to be of use or benefit <(every little bit (R@)R(Xs)X)>
S:(Ysyn)Y (MHELP)M, (MAID)M, (MASSIST)M mean to supply what is needed to
C: accomplish an end, (MHELP)M carries a strong implication of advance toward