Subject: format, versions, new database

From: gmcathey
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 14:56:00 -0500

FORMAT

I have a copy of Webster's Seventh.  The server formats the 
definitions wrong in some cases. The ones I have know about:

1--labels are misplaced: instead of-> 5 -of an inanimate object- a: to  
	move... b: to stand...// it gives-> ...balls of an inanimate 
	object 5a: to move... 5b: to stand... (from "walk")

2--labels are misplaced: in "dog", the label "often attrib"
	should follow the pronunciation (or lead the etymology)

3--runons are ignored and are fundemental to understanding the word in
	a particular sense

4--] is misplaced when the etymology is longer than 80 characters
	that is, when a C: (continuation) line is used.

5--if a number is missing(e.g., Dog and Roman) then it is appended to 
	the last same word's definition.

I know the reasons for 1,3,4.
I can easily fix 1,3.
I haven't looked at the rest, so I can't say what the problem is.
However, the database is correct for these examples (except for 
Roman).  

One problem: the server does not distinguish between upper and lower
case characters for queries.

_________________________________________________________________________

VERSIONS

Mike, would you please tell me where the new working source code is?

_________________________________________________________________________

NEW DATABASE

I think we should get the corrected database.  Jim, what do you think?
I have some idea that you have made many ?corrections?updates? to
the database.  

________________________________________________________________________

Mike, good work!

Ade.

gmc