Subject: Re: R/O tours and posters
From: Richard J. Barbalace <[email-masked]>
To: Richard J. Barbalace <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 03:29:19 EDT

Ooops, sorry, Jessie.  I meant to send this to abbe, not you.
Braino.

> Hi.  You three are doing R/O tours, right?

> In case you didn't know, some stuff Stan put together about last year's
> tours is in /afs/sipb/admin/text/tours/1992.  The posters advertizing
> the tours are in /afs/sipb/user/rjbarbal/PostScript/ComputerTours*.ps.
> Feel free to modify ComputerTours3.ps for this year, or hack something
> new.  If you'd like, I would be willing to code a new poster if you
> suggest a design.

> - Richard
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 10:39:12 -0400
From: Randy Sargent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: sipb computer tours
Cc: [email-masked]

hi,
i'm out of town until monday, but i'm 99% sure i'll be able to
give a tour that night.  it's ok to fit 20 people in the lego lab.
more than that is difficult but may be possible.  i can probably 
talk for 15 mins and can adjust this up or down to suit your schedule.
i'll let you know for sure when i get back on monday if i can do
this.
-randy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 13:46:56 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi, Yonald!

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday, September 1st, from 7pm to 10pm.
We will divide into small groups, and visit various locations.

Would you be interested in doing a demo at your lab and showing off
the CM-5 (if you have access to it)?  Or do you know somebody who
would, who could talk about the CM-5 and the other interesting
hardware over there?  This would involve staying around Wednesday
night, giving a demo to the groups, and answering questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for your area?  How long is the
ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we
have on the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday
is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping to get a lot of freshmen.

					Thanks,
					Abbe Cohen

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 13:31:34 -0400
From: [email-masked]

Hi Abbe,

	Hmm. Great idea !  Well, since I don't have an account on the
CM-5 yet, that would complicate my demoing it --- aside from standing
beside it and saying "OOOh, look at all the pretty red lights!".

	I'll forward your mail to the local guru on such matters who'll
let me know who is the best person to give the tour.  

No problem,

Yonald

P.S. I haven't had an opportunity to catch JP about the fall room
	situation. I think I'll just carry on an email conversation
	listing options and concerns and get back to you.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 14:59:01 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB tour stuff

hmm. mail on trane seems unhappy - that shouldn't have been a blank msg.

what it said was:

hi pascal,
(insert standard introduction here --

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday, September 1st, from 7pm to 10pm.
We will divide into small groups, and visit various locations.)

could you suggest a list of people in different areas around the media
lab who might be interested in doing demos?  I need to start bugging
people now, so that they can do things like forget to get back to me
for 3 weeks, and i can still know there are going to be people doing
demos.  I'll try to find someone who's willing to do a demo here in
the garden, too, so don't worry about giving me names for the garden.

thanx,
abbe
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 20:35:53 -0400
From: Mark A. Smith <[email-masked]>

Hi Abbe,

On behalf of the Information Mechanics Group, I can say that we would be
interested in giving a CAM demo for the SIPB tour on Wednesday, September 1
from 7pm to 10pm.

The demo will probably be a bit different than in the past because the new
generation CA Machine has since been completed.  In addition, Norman Margolus
or Michael Biafore will probably give the presentation instead of me, but in
any event, I can help with the coordination on this end.

As before, I assume it will consist of a series of groups of a few dozen
people each.  I have reserved the seminar room 518 in LCS for that evening so
I think we can accommodate any size group (up to about 100).

Anything up to about a half hour would be a reasonable length, but that too is
adjustable since CAM sessions can be as short or long as the participants
desire.

Please keep us informed of the arrangements, and be sure to send a reminder
when the time approaches.

					Sincerely,
					Mark A. Smith
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 20:35:53 -0400
From: Mark A. Smith <[email-masked]>

Hi Abbe,

On behalf of the Information Mechanics Group, I can say that we would be
interested in giving a CAM demo for the SIPB tour on Wednesday, September 1
from 7pm to 10pm.

The demo will probably be a bit different than in the past because the new
generation CA Machine has since been completed.  In addition, Norman Margolus
or Michael Biafore will probably give the presentation instead of me, but in
any event, I can help with the coordination on this end.

As before, I assume it will consist of a series of groups of a few dozen
people each.  I have reserved the seminar room 518 in LCS for that evening so
I think we can accommodate any size group (up to about 100).

Anything up to about a half hour would be a reasonable length, but that too is
adjustable since CAM sessions can be as short or long as the participants
desire.

Please keep us informed of the arrangements, and be sure to send a reminder
when the time approaches.

					Sincerely,
					Mark A. Smith
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 21:52:37 -0400
From: Hal Abelson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB computer tours
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Address: MIT AI Lab, NE43-409, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 253-5856   Fax: (617) 258-8682

Hi Abbe:

I don't have time to arrange 6.001 lab tours myself, but here are
people you can contact:

Natalya Cohen -- [email-masked]
Joseph Boerjes -- [email-masked]
David LaMacchia -- [email-masked]
Brian Zuzga -- [email-masked]
Nick Papadakis -- [email-masked]

-- Hal
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 93 16:05:07 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: sipb computer tours

Hi Randy,

Thanks for letting me know about the tours.  We'll keep the space
limitations of the lego lab in mind when planning the details of
tours.  I'll wait for your reply on Monday before counting it as a
certainty that you'll be doing it. It will probably take a while
before I really have any more specifics, but I will keep you updated
on what's being planned, how many people to expect, etc.  Fifteen
minutes sounds fine as a time estimate.

thanks,
abbe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 93 16:20:41 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb computer tours

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me and offering to do a tour of the Mobot
Lab for SIPB.  I don't have a very good estimate yet of the number of
students or how they will be grouped this year, but I will definitely
plan our stops around having no more than 20 students visit the Mobot
lab at once.

So far I have contacted people about possibly having demos from the
following other areas of the AI lab or LCS: the leg lab, the
Information Mechanics Group, and the people involved with the CM-5.  I
haven't spoken to Richard Stallman -- actually, I'm basically working
from information about where last year's tours went, and since he
didn't speak then, and I wasn't around two years ago, I didn't know he
had ever done anything for SIPB tours.  I will probably get in touch
with him about it, though -- thanks for the idea.  If you have any
other suggestions for people I should contact in LCS/AI, and what sort
of things they are working on, I would appreciate your giving me their
names.  I don't know what group Lukas Reuker is working with, but if
you could let me know about that, too, I will talk to him about
helping us out as well.

Thanks again!
-abbe

To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: 
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 93 08:28:48 -0400
From: ""Tom J. Greene"" <[email-masked]>

Hello Abbe Cohen,
	I will be happy to work with you arranging a tour of the CM5,
and other interesting hardware at LCS.

--Tom Greene, [email-masked]  (617)253-5

------- Forwarded Message

To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: CM-5 Tours
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 93 00:55:26 -0400
From: [email-masked]

Hello Tom,

    This email was sent to me by and I thought perhaps you would know best
about the CM-5:

- ------- Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 13:46:56 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi, Yonald!

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday, September 1st, from 7pm to 10pm.
We will divide into small groups, and visit various locations.

Would you be interested in doing a demo at your lab and showing off
the CM-5 (if you have access to it)?  Or do you know somebody who
would, who could talk about the CM-5 and the other interesting
hardware over there?  This would involve staying around Wednesday
night, giving a demo to the groups, and answering questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for your area?  How long is the
ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we
have on the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday
is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping to get a lot of freshmen.

					Thanks,
					Abbe Cohen

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 12:49:24 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Invitation to SIPB Tours

Hi Jeff,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tours for freshmen.
We'll be taking freshmen and incoming graduate students to see
interesting computer labs and resources on campus.  As seems to be the
tradition, we'd like to invite you to tell neat computer stories after
the tours.

We're planning on holding the tours on the evening of Wednesday, Sept.
1.  Last year the tours of the labs went from 7 to 10 pm, with
refreshments and stories afterwards, so I imagine the time frame would
be something similar this year.

Could you get back to me and let me know if you're interested in
speaking after the tours? 
					Thanks,
					Abbe Cohen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 16:59:37 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi, Tom,

Thanks for offering to help out and give a tour of the CM-5.  As a
reminder, the tours will be happening on Wednesday, Sept 1, from 7 to
10 pm.  In order to help with the planning of the tours, could you
give me some information about how a tour of the CM-5 would work?
Basically, what i need to know is what size group you can accommodate,
and how long you need to talk for, or are willing to talk for.

If you could get back to me with that information, i will be more able
to work out the final details of the schedules with you.

				Thanks again,
				Abbe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 17:08:34 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours 

Hi Janet,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday, September 1st, from 7pm to 10pm.
We will divide into small groups, and visit various locations.

Would you be interested in showing off various Athena things around
e40?  Derek Atkins had mentioned you might be interested in doing this.
It would involve staying around Wednesday night, giving a demo to
the groups, and answering questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for you?  How long is the ideal
demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we have on
the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday is
after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping to get a lot of freshmen.

	Thanks,
	Abbe Cohen
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 93 13:43:34 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer tours

Thanks for offering to help out with the SIPB Computer Tours!  I had
in mind having the tour stop at e40 for a talk at the visitor's center
(i'm sure we'll have at least *one* watchmaker on each tour, so
getting in the building should not be a problem!), so that would be
three talks between 7-10. Jeff Schiller will be giving the talk after
the tours.  If you could give me an estimate on how long you'd like to
talk, I would appreciate it.  I think we will stick to the visitors'
center, as some of the other tour stops require smaller groups that
30-35 people anyway.

Thanks for getting back to me!

			-abbe
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 93 13:33:46 EDT

Hi, Abbe!

I'd be pleased to host a sipb tour (this will be my 3rd
one since 1990, as I missed out on last year).  

Here's the deal- I'm moving on the 1st, but will be 
available in the evening.  The room I manage, the 
Academic Computing Services Visitors Center, seats a 
crowded 35.  I can try to reserve another room if you 
think the turnout will be bigger for each of the groups. 

What I need is a facility with a workstation and projector.  
In fact, if you want to be on the safe side, we can try to
get room 1-390 for my three demos.  Otherwise, we can take 
smaller groups here in E40-302.  I have everything I need 
right here, save a valet ;)

Did you want me to give three talks from 7-10 or give a talk 
afterward?  Please let me know which is your preference.

I look forward to hearing from you.

					Janet

------------------------------------------------
Janet Daly
Information Officer, Academic Computing Services
MIT Information Systems
E40-358f
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02139

voice:	1 617 253 0194
fax:    1 617 258 8736
email:  [email-masked]  
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 08:44:43 -0500
From: Jon Orwant <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Abbe J Cohen)
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I'm assuming three groups, one per hour, as in the past.

Jon
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 08:44:43 -0500
From: Jon Orwant <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Abbe J Cohen)
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I'm assuming three groups, one per hour, as in the past.

Jon
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 08:43:28 -0500
From: Jon Orwant <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Abbe J Cohen)
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I'll be happy to give the demos.  Let's say 20 minutes, which really means a  
15 minute demo and 5 minutes of slack for herding.  

Jon

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 93 13:41:03 -0400
From: Randy Sargent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours

Turns out I'll be able to do it for sure.  Looking forward to it.
-randy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 93 23:50:33 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Tour information

Here are the stops:

Who            	What      	Where		#People		Length  
Mark Torrance   mobot lab 	LCS           	15-20            ???
Randy Sargent   lego lab  	medialab      	20		15 min
Joe Boerges     6.001 lab 	34-501	 	20? 		15 min??
Tom Greene      CM5  	 	LCS       	???   	       	???
Jon Orwant    	Garden  	medialab        12ish		15-20min
Janet Daly    	ACSinfo     	e40-302         up to 35        ???
Mark Smith    	CAM      	LCSrm518  	any size        up to 1/2 hr

Jeff Schiller   storyhour      6-120		whole group     after tours

I am contacting anyone who has ??'s in their information and hopefully
they will answer me promptly so we can try to schedule all this.

Does this seem like something you could feasibly draw up a schedule for?

thanks,
abbe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 00:01:47 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Mark,

The summer seems to have gone by pretty quickly, and SIPB computer
tours are coming up fairly soon - Wednesday, Sept 1, to remind you.
We are currently arranging the order of the tours for each of the
groups, and planning what would be most efficient to make all of our
stops.  We're making our plans based on there being 3 groups of up to
20 people each, but if we have a bigger turnout than that, we might do
4 groups so that everyone can see all the stops.  

The other stops at LCS this year will be a demo of CAM by Norm
Margolus or Michael Biafore, and a tour of the CM-5 and other hardware
by Tom Greene, but these will be separate from your demo.

In order to help us distribute the times for the stops evenly, could you
give me some idea of the ideal length of your demo?  How long would
you like to talk, and what is the minimum time the demo would last?

Thanks again for helping us out with this.  I'll be in touch with you
about further details of when to expect the groups, and where to meet
for the demo, etc.  However, we can't be sure how many groups we will
have until the tour actually gets started.

thanx,
abbe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 14:36:03 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Mark,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday evening, September 1st, from 7pm
to 10pm.  The tour will be divided into small groups that will visit
various locations.

  During last year's tours, you helped us out by giving a demo of the
CAM group.  Would you be interested in giving a demo again this year?
If not, is there someone else in your group who might want to help, or
someone else I should talk to? It would involve being available to
stay around Wednesday night, give a demo to the tour groups, and
answer questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for your area?  How long is the
ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we
have on the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday
is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping lots of freshmen will
show up.

				Thanks,
				Abbe Cohen
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 00:05:40 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Tours 

Yes, the term is getting really close to starting.  Yes, we have stops
for the tours.  Yes, you are supposedly doing one of the stops for the
tours.  Hal Abelson said to talk to you about doing a demo of the .001
lab...if you're still willing to do that, i need an estimate of how
many people you can talk to (so they can all see, etc.) and how long
you want to talk for.  If you want to have a few people at a few
machines doing the same demo or something, that would be cool, too -
i'm sure most of the tour guides have enough of a clue to do a demo.
(me and jessie are probably the only ones who haven't taken .001
yet...)  So, let me know as soon as possible what you would be able to
do, so we can schedule things accordingly.  It will probably be a demo
repeated 3 times, one for each group that goes through.

thanx,
abbe

ps - i never see you anymore - where've you been? how was canoeing?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 00:13:34 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi, Tom,

Thanks for offering to help us out with the SIPB Computer Tours on Wednesday,
September 1st.  The end of August is coming fast, and we are currently working
on scheduling all the stops around our time constraints.  

The tours will probably work by having 3 groups of students rotating
between the various tour stops.  This would mean that we would need you to
be able to do 3 demos as the groups arrive.  It's possible if we have a larger
number of students than expected, we might have 4 groups, since some of
the people giving demos have fairly small limits on the group size, but we
can't know that until the night of the tours.

In order to get our scheduling straight, there are a few things that
we'd like to know from you.  What is the ideal group size for a tour
of the CM-5, and how long are you willing to talk for?  Also, where should
we bring the tour groups when they arrive, and are there any locked doors
etc that we'd need to call to be let in?

I would appreciate hearing from you soon about this, so we can get things
worked out on our end.  Thanks for your help!

thanx,
abbe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 00:21:03 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Janet,

We're currently working out the scheduling for the SIPB tours so that
all of the different tour stops constraints on size and timing are met,
to make the tours as efficent as possible.  In order to get this done,
I need to know one thing you didn't mention in your last mail - how long
would you like to/be willing to talk for?  

As I said before, we'll probably be having 3 groups, each coming to the 
Visitors Center at some point for your talk, and going to 6-120 afterwards
to hear Jeff Schiller tell stories.  So, whatever length of time is best
for you, I hope you won't mind giving that length talk 3 times.

Thanks for helping out with the tours!

-abbe

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 09:11:41 EDT

Hi, Abbe.

No problem with the repetition...let's say my talk 
will last 45 minutes (allowing for time to move between 
sites).

I look forward to seeing you on the 1st at some point.

-------------------------------------------------
Janet Daly
Information Officer, Academic Computing Services
MIT Information Systems
E40-358f
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02139

voice:	1 617 253 0194
fax:    1 617 258 8736
email:  [email-masked]  
From: [email-masked] (Mark Torrance)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 10:08:34 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours

I would be happy to give a talk and demo as short as 10 minutes or as
long as 20 minutes.  I believe I will be able to demonstrate a working
mobile robot for each group, as well as showing other robots and
explaining the design philosophy of the lab.

If there is more time, I'm happy to talk some about other parts of the
AI lab, to put the mobot lab into context, before I go into detail
about the mobots.  I can borrow some of Lukas Reucker's transparencies
for that part of the presentation, which we could hold in the 8th
floor playroom.  That would be appropriate if there was as much as
half an hour for each group to see the AI Lab/Mobot lab.  I'm equally
happy not to try to cover that ground if time is shorter.

My best guess is that you should plan on 15 minute demos+questions
with 5 minutes between to move within the building, and that should
leave 15 minutes at the end of the hour to get to the next campus
site.  It's also my guess that, like previous years, the tour will get
behind schedule.

If you have already coordinated times with the CAM and CM-5 people,
that's fine, but if not I would be happy to make up a schedule (a
"program") for the times of the parts of the tour that are in our
building.  I'm also happy to chaparone a group around to the different
stops within our building, if there isn't another person to do that.

It would be helpful if you could tell me soon whether each of the
three big groups will be split for the AI/LCS part of the tour, or if
they will remain whole.  That is, will I be giving the Mobot Lab talk
3 times, 6 times or 9 times?

--Mark

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 12:25:13 -0400
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: .001 tour 

Hello, 

Yes, I voluteered to do a tour. I will do it. Info follows...

1) I need to talk to hal one more time so there aren't any 
other groups in there on that day (which is????)

2) I wouldn't talk for more than a few minutes (3 tops)
and demos would be cool...if the other guides can handle it
I will set up some of the stuff I did last summer and maybe
pset examples...???? suggestions....?

3) I can take a group of about 15 reasonably easily, 25
with some trepidation (but since there are technically
46 terminals I could take 46 people with real crowding...
(I really don't like that large a group so.....:( )

4) is this soon enough notice for you? Let me know what day
this is supposedly happening....

Joe

ps - I am sorry I am never around, babe, but I have been 
busy. I have to finish my project before the summer and 
I just became desk captain at EC, and I went canoeing (which
was really cool...) and ... and ...

:)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 14:14:47 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: .001 tour

1) The date is Wednesday, Sept 1, 7-10 pm.

2) A demo of the graphics stuff on the machines
would probably be cool to take up a little bit more time.

3) We'll aim for 15 people at a time visiting the lab,
and i don't know yet how many times you'll get to repeat
this. probably 3 groups of 15 people should cover our turnout.

-abbe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 14:24:23 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tour scheduling

I'll be updating the scheduling info as these people get back to me...
the current updates are:

scheduling info:

Who            	What      	Where		#People		Length  
Mark Torrance   mobot lab 	LCS           	15-20           10-20 min
Randy Sargent   lego lab  	medialab      	20		15 min
Joe Boerges     6.001 lab 	34-501	 	15-20 		10ish
Tom Greene      CM5  	 	LCS       	???   	       	???
Jon Orwant    	Garden  	medialab        12ish		15-20min
Janet Daly    	ACSinfo     	e40-302         up to 35        45 min
Mark Smith    	CAM      	LCSrm518  	any size        up to 1/2 hr

Jeff Schiller   storyhour      6-120		whole group     after tours

Also, Mark Torrance sent me this mail, which i thought you might
be better able to answer...

My best guess is that you should plan on 15 minute demos+questions
with 5 minutes between to move within the building, and that should
leave 15 minutes at the end of the hour to get to the next campus
site.  It's also my guess that, like previous years, the tour will get
behind schedule.

If you have already coordinated times with the CAM and CM-5 people,
that's fine, but if not I would be happy to make up a schedule (a
"program") for the times of the parts of the tour that are in our
building.  I'm also happy to chaparone a group around to the different
stops within our building, if there isn't another person to do that.

It would be helpful if you could tell me soon whether each of the
three big groups will be split for the AI/LCS part of the tour, or if
they will remain whole.  That is, will I be giving the Mobot Lab talk
3 times, 6 times or 9 times?

--Mark

I'm telling him that my estimate is probably 3 times, maybe 6 if we get
really really big groups... but i don't know how you want to arrange the
lcs part and if you want him to talk to people there.
and also that we do already have chaperones.  should i tell him to expect
mail from you as well, or do you want me to find anything else out from him?

-abbe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 14:39:08 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi, Mark,

Wednesday, September 1st is coming up, and we are working on scheduling
the various stops for the SIPB Computer tours.  After you told me that
you would be able to arrange the demo, you said that either Norm Margolus or
Michael Biafore would actually be doing the talk.  Neither of them have 
gotten in touch with me, and I wasn't sure whether you wanted us to send
final arrangements to all of you, or just to whoever will be talking.
It will probably be 3 talks to each of the 3 main tour groups, sometime
between 7 and 10 pm.  We'll be working out a basic schedule in the next week
or so, but things tend to change on the actual night of the tour depending
on the actual turnout.  I will, of course, keep you updated.  I'd appreciate
it if you could let me know who i should be sending future correspondence
to, and who will actually be doing the presentation, as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for you help!

-abbe
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 15:01:25 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: tour braindump

All the information is pretty much in /afs/sipb/user/abbe/tours/tour.grp
-who is talking, how long, who i've contacted etc.
All the correspondence is in /mit/abbe/Mail/tours.

A quick summary:

Who            	What      	Where		#People		Length  
Mark Torrance   mobot lab 	LCS           	15-20           10-20 min
Randy Sargent   lego lab  	medialab      	20		15 min
Joe Boerges     6.001 lab 	34-501	 	15-20 		10 max
Tom Greene      CM5  	 	LCS       	???   	       	???
Jon Orwant    	Garden  	medialab        12ish		15-20min
Janet Daly    	ACSinfo     	e40-302         up to 35        45 min
Mark Smith    	CAM      	LCSrm518  	any size        up to 1/2 hr

Jeff Schiller   storyhour      6-120		whole group     after tours

jtidwell offered to work with this info to figure out a schedule that
will work for 3 groups and meet all the number/time requirements.
I sent it to her today...hopefully she will be able to get it all worked
out.

After that, what is left from stan's howto list is:

7.  Have somebody make up a poster for the tours.  Steal last year's
and modify it if necessary.  Make ~100 copies of the poster, and poster
the clusters a week before the tour.  Poster other places (Infinite
Corridor, etc) 4 days before.

*richard is modifying last years poster, this should work.

8.  Send mail to [email-masked] and [email-masked]
announcing the tour.

*probably should wait a bit longer to do this

9.  Send out a message to SIPB asking for shepherds and sheep dogs for
the tour.  Get at least six people to commit.  Talk to people
personally if necessary.  Threaten bodily harm.

*should go in next weeks minutes, can you send out this mail or should I?

10.  Schedule stops.  Alan Bawden supposedly has a scheduling program
for this (see Penny's message in tour.mail file).  Generally, three
groups rotating through AI/LCS, Media-lab, and other seems to work.
If you feel up to it, walk the tour to get an idea of times between
stops.

*jtidwell is working on.

11.  Come up with a flyer for the tour guides.  This is a listing of
the stops, schedule, etc, and some subtle reminders for them to thank
the demoers, etc.  It should describe what you expect them to do once
they get to a site (knock on the door, phone, etc).  You may have to
give the tour guides a combination or two.  [tour.guide]

*can you do this close to the date of the tour?

12.  Arrange for food.  At the meeting before the tour, ask for
funding of up to $75 for food.  If approved, check with Kathy Allen.
Con a couple SIPB members with a car to shop for food and bring it
over.  If necessary, this can be done at Laverde's.  Check SIPB
supplies for cups and plates.  A listing of food is in tour.mail (in
terms of what gets eaten).  Get at least 3 litres of Classic Coke.
The SIPB members should save the receipt so that they can be
reimbursed.

*I'll ask for funding.  Can you deal with the rest?

13.  Show up at the arranged time at the arranged place (usually Lobby
7, 6:45-7:00pm).  Introduce yourself, and explain how the tour is
going to be organized (# of tours, stops, every tour goes to the same
stop).  Some people may want to go to the media-lab first (so they can
punt the other stops).  If you feel generous, tell them.

*We should both be there...

14.  Let the tours go.  Lead a tour.  Have fun.  Eat afterwards, and
listen to the speaker.

*Gosh, this is difficult....

15.  Send mail to the demo'ers, thanking them for showing their stuff
off.

*If you could do that, it would be cool - i'll be hosed from then until
reg day with olc bootcamp and then going to florida for my aunt's wedding.

How does this sound?

-abbe

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 14:40:11 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer tours

Hi Randy,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday evening, September 1st, from 7pm
to 10pm.  The tour will be divided into small groups that will visit
various locations.

  For last year's tours, you helped us by getting Fred Martin to do a
demo of the Lego lab for us.  Would you be interested in giving a demo
for us this year?  If not, should we talk to Fred again, or is there
anyone else who might be interested in doing a demo? It would involve
being available to stay around Wednesday night, give a demo to the
tour groups, and answer questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for your area?  How long is the
ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we
have on the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday
is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping lots of freshmen will
show up.

				Thanks,
				Abbe Cohen
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 23:47:24 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Norm Margolus)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Abbe.

Why don't you make arrangements with me, and CC "biafore" and "smith"
in your messages.  I'll plan to give the demo, but if at the last
moment I'm unable to, Mike Biafore will substitute for me.

I appreciate your interest in our stuff, and your work in organizing
the tour.

	Norm Margolus
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours 
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 14:24:45 -0400
From: ""Tom J. Greene"" <[email-masked]>

Abbe,
	Let's say  3 (or 4) groups of 20. 
Your event time is 7-10PM?

	If so,   20 @ 7PM, 20 @ 8 PM, 20 @ 9PM.

	Draft AGENDA: In- 5 min, out 5 min meeting 50 min
		Machine room for CM5---15 min
		CM5--the movie
		HPC-why,what
		Programming in Parallel
Send me a sample of what your other announcements look like and 
we will try to set firm plans with you....

tom
	
>
>Hi, Tom,
>
>Thanks for offering to help us out with the SIPB Computer Tours on Wednesday,
>September 1st.  The end of August is coming fast, and we are currently working
>on scheduling all the stops around our time constraints.  
>
>The tours will probably work by having 3 groups of students rotating
>between the various tour stops.  This would mean that we would need you to
>be able to do 3 demos as the groups arrive.  It's possible if we have a larger
>number of students than expected, we might have 4 groups, since some of
>the people giving demos have fairly small limits on the group size, but we
>can't know that until the night of the tours.
>
>In order to get our scheduling straight, there are a few things that
>we'd like to know from you.  What is the ideal group size for a tour
>of the CM-5, and how long are you willing to talk for?  Also, where should
>we bring the tour groups when they arrive, and are there any locked doors
>etc that we'd need to call to be let in?
>
>I would appreciate hearing from you soon about this, so we can get things
>worked out on our end.  Thanks for your help!
>
>thanx,
>abbe
>
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: sipb tour scheduling 
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 16:59:28 EDT

Sorry it took me so long to get to this, but I've been on vacation for
about ten days... 

Having taken a look at the scheduling info, I can see a few potential
problems.  (Nothing that can't be worked around, though, hopefully.)
First, there will be a *lot* of walking -- the tours go to four
buildings, two of which (LCS and E40) are rather far apart.  So a lot
of time will be spend between buildings.  We might need to punt one of
the stops.

What exactly is Janet Daly doing in E40?  Is she giving an
intro-to-Athena type demo?  If so, it won't go over well, since you
will most likely have far more upperclassmen than frosh.  (This
happened a couple of years ago.)  Can she demo stuff that would
interest upperclassmen?

By the same reasoning, the 6.001 lab tour may not be what
upperclassmen want to see. :-)  Will anything be shown that would also
interest people who have already taken 6.001?  And is it worth 10-15
minutes of walking time (there and back) for a 10-minute demo?
(That's not such a big deal, since 34-501 is on the way from E15 to
LCS anyway...)

50 minutes for the CM5 stuff is clearly too long.  15-20 minutes or so
would be OK, esp. since they can only fit 20 at a time.... we'd have
to rotate groups *within* LCS, as well as between buildings!  Could be
interesting.  Maybe we want group leaders to carry ham radios.  :-)

(Come to think of it, we may want to rotate groups within the Media
Lab as well; smaller groups have always worked better than large
ones.)

OK, here's a rough breakdown of one way we've done it in the past:

	100-150 people total  ---->  3 groups of 30-40
	3 major stops (E40, E15, LCS)  ---->  approx. 1 hr per stop
						(incl. walking time!)
	Everyone regroups at the room with Schiller Story Hour
	Each tour group has a leader, with schedule; plus at least
	   two "shepherds" to talk and keep group together
	Within LCS and E15, it is good to have people who stay there
	   and can chaperone the tour groups between demos; they 
	   should have keys and combos so no one gets stuck anywhere!

It looks like we may be able to sort of keep this three-group,
three-hour, three-stop schedule, with modifications; the 6.001 lab is
short enough to be included in whichever "major stop" is shorter (prob
E15, given your scheduling info).  Also, as I mentioned before, it may
be a good idea to split into two or three smaller groups within E15
and LCS, since the demos want smaller groups.

One thing you want to avoid:  splitting the crowd into more tour groups
than was planned.  The timing gets really unmanageable, and you may
end up with a tour group reaching, say, the Media Lab at the right
time, and no one with an elevator combo (or a clue) is there to meet
them.  In past tours, we've had groups stranded for 10 to 15 minutes
like this!  It's better to have too-big tour groups than too many.

(whew)  More on request.  I could go on for hours.  :-)  Hope this
helps, anyway.

					- Jenifer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 93 10:59:33 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: tour stuff 

I read through all the stuff from last years tours --
it's all in /afs/sipb/admin/text/tours/1992/tour.*

basically, we need to start getting in touch with people at the media
lab, AI lab, LCS, etc to find people willing to do demos.  There's a
nice form letter (tour.ask) that we probably don't have to change too
much, that we can send out to individual people, once we get names.  I
was thinking also of sending it to the people who actually did demos
last year, altering the wording to say something more like, "hi, you
helped us out with tours last year. would you be willing to do it
again, or who else can you suggest to us."  We also have to pick a
speaker (jis seems popular) and write up a letter inviting him to
speak.

before we can invite people, though, we need to get a date settled.  I
was thinking possibly the Wednesday night of R/0 -- we have to check
on the R/0 Schedule.  (This would be 6 days after the frosh get here,
i think...)  Basically, sorority rush for me take up from friday till
tuesday afternoon.  ie the freshmen get there on thursday, rush runs
friday to tuesday.  So i'm going to be pretty hosed then, and the week
before that.  So maybe i should deal with initially sending out
letters, and you can deal with peoples' last-minute responses and
planning and stuff?  let me know how that sounds. 

-abbe

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 93 11:40:16 -0500
From: Martha H. Greenberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: tour stuff 

All of that sounds fine, except I would like to check the date.  I'm fairly
hosed right now but shouldn't be doing much over Rush, so it should work out for
me.

Martha

To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: R/O '93 Tour Posters
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 15:27:42 EDT
From: Richard J. Barbalace <[email-masked]>

I just made modifications to the '92 posters for abbe.  The new posters
are world-readable and in:
	~rjbarbal/PostScript/ComputerTours93fancy.ps
	~rjbarbal/PostScript/ComputerTours93plain.ps
Fancy is very nice looking, but does not photocopy well.  I recommend
printing out 15-30 of these, and placing one in each cluster window
and along the Infinite Corridor.  I learned last year that freshman
are unlikely to see posters placed inside clusters, so make sure posters
are visible to passers-by.  Plain is just a plainer version of the fancy
one, but photocopies better.  Make lots of copies and poster everywhere.

I'd recommend having someone hand them out to freshman as they come in
W20-575 to register for an account.  Or instead of having a person do
this, just set up a small table (or something) with a sign saying
"Take one!" and a pile of posters on it.

Feel free to copy them somewhere more appropriate, and to make modifications
as you see fit.  I won't be around to help, but anyone with a small
knowledge of PS should be able to make any changes easily.  Don't feel
you have to use these if you don't like them.
- Richard
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: DC
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 17:47:46 EDT

Welcome the the DAily Confusion!!

You guys are all new so i have tried to give you the "names" that would be most
appropriate...however you may feel that they need to be changed.  This can be
done very easily---if the changes are made before you make any submissions.

Please Contact me if there is anything that must be changed.

lana.
------- Forwarded Message

To:regis, doug_s, bsman, apchilds, tequesta, davknav, pern, yeahbouy, swong94, 
	queef, medstrom, bjduda, trujillo, stork, hlludtke, jsw, geilfuss, johnrich, 
	sanj, elsiedee, grisha, lanaimal, jhodor, hanser, arabbit, mdhansen, cmbrooks, 
	ranjs, vonneidt, lmtancre, jcchen, jcchen, efong, jpr, marofim, jderksen, jdhinter
cc:[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject:Daily Confusion
- --------

Hi!  

 Finally, the Daily Confusion software and documentation are mostly up.
If you are receiving this, you have been given access to enter
activities for some organization.  You should already know about this
from your rush chair or whomever.  (If not, send us mail)

Deadlines are three days in advance of the issue.  We'll try to
pick stuff up as late as we can on that day, but the copiers have
deadlines that must be met.

Anyway -in keeping it simple- since the directions are written
elsewhere.  To view the documentation (which describes how to run the
software), do:

	attach ro-committee
	xdvi /mit/ro-committee/confused/doc/confused.dvi

To print it:

	dvi2ps /mit/ro-committee/confused/doc/confused.dvi | lpr -Pprintername

To view it from dialup (LaTeX source):

	more /mit/ro-committee/confused/doc/confused.tex

If you have any questions, problems, comments, bugs, requests, or
anything else, please send us mail.  If you know of someone who wants
to add stuff to the DC, but didn't get this message, have them send
mail as soon as possible.

***Please try to enter as many of your activities as soon as you can.
This will make our job a lot easier - Thanks.

		Lana Luoma   lanaimal@athena
		R/O Committee Daily Confusion Co-Chair

@athena.mit.edu

P.S.	If you dont know who you are the command that you need is...
	more /mit/ro-committee/confused/1993_DC_Inputters

------- End of Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: tours
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 00:14:38 EDT

urphle. well, i'll do what i can, and chad will deal some too as R/O
sucker. there are a couple things i'm not clear on.

is the order of the tours set? 
should tour guides walk through before they actually guide?
who is going to be a tour guide?
what other scheduling do i need to do?

jessie
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: tours
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 01:23:40 EDT

read some more stuff about tours. i'll try to do some stuff, but looking at it 
i'm not going to be able to do all of it. :-/ sorry. i'll try to see what i
can do, see if martha's doing anything -- i asked her twice via zephyr but 
she never responded -- and see if chad's going to do anything, but i don't 
know that it'll all get together.

if you want tours to happen, you will need to get martha to get her act in
gear. i don't know whether this is possible. *shrug* i'll do what i can,
and let you know what's going on.

jessie

btw -- if you can just tell me who i need to tell what, i should be able to
do that part. 
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 14:45:50 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Mark,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday evening, September 1st, from 7pm
to 10pm.  The tour will be divided into small groups that will visit
various locations.

  During last year's tours, you were interested in helping us out,
although you wound up being unable to.  Would you be interested in
giving a demo of the Mobot lab this year?  If not, is there someone
else in your group who might want to help? It would involve being
available to stay around Wednesday night, give a demo to the tour
groups, and answer questions.

If so, what's an ideal group size for your area?  How long is the
ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how many stops we
have on the tour, and how many people show up for the tour.  Wednesday
is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping lots of freshmen will
show up.

				Thanks,
				Abbe Cohen
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 23:06:48 -0400
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hello again, Tom,

I'm just setting up final arrangements for the SIPB computer tours.
As a reminder, the tours are going to be this Wednesday, September 1, from
7 to 10 pm.  You had volunteered to help us out by doing a demo about the
CM-5.

The way our scheduling is working out, we have room for a twenty
minute demo from you, as there are two other demos at LCS that will be
about twenty minutes each.  So if you could plan things around that,
we'd appreciate it very much.  The tours are going to be guided by
SIPB members, and they will be rotating each tour group through LCS,
the Media Lab, and e40.  There should be three tour groups total.  However,
if we get more freshmen than expected, we may split into groups within groups,
and then you might need to do a total of 6 demos instead.  Hopefully this
will not be necessary.

Final details we need to know are how we should get access to LCS with
the tour groups, and where we should bring them for your demo.

The rest of the arrangements will be mostly coordinated by Jessie
Stickgold-Sarah, so please cc your responses to her as well.

Thanks for your help!

Abbe Cohen
SIPB Tour Co-Coordinator

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Tours
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 00:54:43 EDT

Yes, it's that time again. The title of Designated Sucker for SIPB Tours
has passed, despite my protests that I wasn't touching it, from abbe
(y'all tell her what a good job she did, folks, cuz she did everything
besides the actually very small amount that I'm doing) to me. This means
that I have the honor of telling you all that YOU -- yes, YOU -- are
invited in the strongest possible terms to be a glamourous and
world-famous tour guide for the SIPB R/O TOURS!!! People who can get
into E40 and/or the Media Lab without setting off alarms will get
special, valuable cash prizes!

Well, maybe not, but they *are* on Wednesday, September 1st, leaving at
6:45 PM (I think from Lobby Seven? Ten? abbe?). Shepherds should show up
around 6:35 or so.

Let me know if you can make it; send mail to *me*, remember, the DS, and
not abbe and not martha. I will also nag you about this at the meeting.
If you told anyone else you were going to be a tour guide, it doesn't
count; PLEEEEEEEEZE tell me.

Thanks! Remember, this will gain you the gratitude of the SIPB and the
adulation and slavish respect of many freshman. Just Do It.

jessie
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [[email-masked]: sipb tours]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 14:41:43 EDT
Content-Length: 427

Since you are dealing with this, I guess you should know

------- Forwarded Message
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: sipb tours
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 14:39:10 EDT

Re: Ken (Kim?) Jones at TMC re CM-V for SIPB tours

3 tours coming by between 7 and 10 with a 30 minute spiel about the CM-V.
They think that's what they asked for; if so, that's perfectly ok.

dave

------- End of Forwarded Message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 23:03:09 -0400
To: tjg@@Athena.MIT.EDU
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB computer tours

Hello again, Tom,

I'm just setting up final arrangements for the SIPB computer tours.
As a reminder, the tours are going to be this Wednesday, September 1, from
7 to 10 pm.  You had volunteered to help us out by doing a demo about the
CM-5.  

The way our scheduling is working out, we have room for a twenty
minute demo from you, as there are two other demos at LCS that will be
about twenty minutes each.  So if you could plan things around that,
we'd appreciate it very much.  The tours are going to be guided by
SIPB members, and they will be rotating each tour group through LCS,
the Media Lab, and e40.  There should be three tour groups total.  However,
if we get more freshmen than expected, we may split into groups within groups,
and then you might need to do a total of 6 demos instead.  Hopefully this
will not be necessary.

Final details we need to know are how we should get access to LCS with
the tour groups, and where we should bring them for your demo.

The rest of the arrangements will be mostly coordinated by Jessie
Stickgold-Sarah, so please cc your responses to her as well.

Thanks for your help!

Abbe Cohen
SIPB Tour Co-Coordinator
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: tours are well in hand...
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 02:50:17 EDT

but there's one question:

Tom Greene      CM5             LCS             20              50

fifty minutes? really? um, should we ask him to cut it down? that's a little
long...i *think* you said something, but i forget what. if i should just
leave it like that, ok.

sorry to have to keep bugging you about things...

jessie
From: [email-masked] (Mark Torrance)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 17:28:44 EDT
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SIPB Computer Tours tonight

I'm happy to help.  I'm expecting the tour groups at the lab between
7-8, 8-9, and 9-10.  They will be met in the lobby near the guard's
desk by a representative from the CM-5 group, who will take them to
the 2nd floor for the first demo.  After that, I will meet them on the
9th floor for a tour of the Mobot lab, and then take them to the 5th
floor where they'll get a demo of the Cellular Automata Machine from
Norm Margoulis.  I have contacted the other demoers in my building,
and we are all clear on this procedure.

If students arrive at our site n minutes late, they will be n minutes
late leaving our site.  Our whole tour should take 50 minutes so they
have time to get to the next site.

See you tonight!

--Mark Torrance
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 14:57:13 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB Computer Tours

Hi Hal,

I'm co-coordinating this year's SIPB computer tour.  This
is a computer tour aimed at freshmen and incoming graduate students
to show them interesting computer resources and labs around campus.
We've done this for many years, and the freshmen seem to enjoy seeing
the neat hardware around campus.  The different research groups get an
opportunity to show off their stuff to potential UROPs.

This year's tour will be on Wednesday evening, September 1st, from 7pm
to 10pm.  The tour will be divided into small groups that will visit
various locations.

During last year's tours, you helped us out by arranging for the tour
to stop at the 6.001 lab to see some demos and admire the hardware.
Would you be interested in helping us again this year by giving a
demo, or by reccomending someone else who could?  It would involve
being available to stay around Wednesday night, give a demo to the
tour groups, and answer questions.  A lot of the freshmen on the tours
will probably be planning on taking 6.001 at some point, so i think
a tour stop in the Scheme Lab would be interesting for them.

If you'll be helping us out, what's an ideal group size for your area?
How long is the ideal demo?  The final arrangements will depend on how
many stops we have on the tour, and how many people show up for the
tour.  Wednesday is after most of Rush is over, so we're hoping lots
of freshmen will show up.

				Thanks,
				Abbe Cohen
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 15:27:26 -0400
From: Jeffrey I. Schiller <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Invitation to SIPB Tours

   From: [email-masked]
   Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 12:49:24 EDT
   ...
   Could you get back to me and let me know if you're interested in
   speaking after the tours? 

Sure...

			-Jeff
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 16:19:55 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SIPB tour & talk

Thanks a lot!  Either Martha (who's co-coordinating the tours with me)
or I will get back to you closer to September 1st with any other
details.  Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

-abbe
From: [email-masked] (Mark Torrance)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 16:33:28 EDT
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  SIPB Computer Tours

Abbe,

Thank you very much for inviting me to help with this year's tour.
I would be happy to give a tour of the mobot lab on Wednesday night
September 1.  Two years ago, I believe the groups that came to the
computer science lab first went to the 8ai conference room for a brief
overview, then were split into two smaller groups.  One went to the
mobot lab, and the other went to talk with Richard Stallman.  Each of
these groups could be comfortable at 15 students, and could accomodate
up to 20.  If you expect more than 20 students in each of the three
*main* groups this year, perhaps we should split the AI Lab/Stallman
tour up in this way again.

Have you recruited anyone else from the AI Lab or LCS to help this year,
such as Lukas Reucker (sp?) ?

I will check my email through Sunday night, and then I'll be gone
for a week, so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't contact
you during next week.

--Mark