Subject: SIPB computer tour (stops needed)

From: [email-masked] (Stan Zanarotti)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 92 15:54:32 -0400

Could you tell me a little more about the seminar, so that I
understand how it affects the tour?  Will it be held in the lab
itself, so that the tours will have to be quiet in there?  Are some
times in the 7-10 range more convenient than others?

I was envisioning a situation where a tour would be given a quick
explanation of what 6.001 is, why it's a good class to take, what
Scheme is, how HP donated the equipment, what the policy is for using
the room, the advantages of doing the problem sets there, etc, and
show them some fractals from the fractal problem set.  If a member of
the Scheme Team or 6.001 staff wants to do this, that would be great,
otherwise I can probably get a SIPB member to do this (once they've
gotten the relevant info from Ziggy).

If the seminar is in the room, this will have to be explained outside.
We'll need to work out details for getting access to the room.

Thanks for letting us come by.  I think it'll make a good tour stop.

	-stan

---

From: "Michael R. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 92 13:55:27 EDT

The ``seminar'' will work mostly as an informal workshop. Probably the first
15 or so minutes will be a quick overview of the new machines and their
software setup and the rest of the time will be folks getting climatized on
the new machines by doing problem set 1.

It would probably be best, therefore, if the tour drops in between 8 and 9
since by then we should have a room full of fairly knowledgable people with
screens full of nifty graphics.

There is no longer a fractal problem set. In its place there is a problem set
that deals with scanned GIF pictures and manipulates them with the Escher
picture language.

The codes on the lab doors will change around the 8th or 9th but until then,
they are not really necessary since we will be in the lab when the tour drops
by. for your personal reference anyway, the codes are: outside-26484 and
inside-84681.

Needless to say, please dont randomly give these codes out... we are very busy
getting everything together for the course so we dont like random folks popping
in unexpectedly expecting us to show them how to hack on the new machines.

 -ziggy