Welcome to Joe Foley's Webpage
The place where information goes to die..
Table of Contents
This is Joe Foley's webpage. It is a page that acts as a bitbucket of
links and information that I find useful and others may also find
useful. It also contains some useful information about me. For
instance, my email address is f o l e y at m i t dot e d u with the
spaces removed and the at and dot translated. I also started a Web Log
to write about my experiences in the very unique place of Iceland.
These days I'm an assistant professor at
Reykjavik University. I use Axiomatic Design in a lot of my work, you can learn more about it at here
If you're looking for my qualifications, you can pick from a MechE-focused resume, or a CS/EE-focused resume. If you're
interested in my resume with all the bells and whistles, it can be
found here. (Yes, it is written in LaTeX).
I also have a CV which can be found here.
I used to be a Senior Mechanical Engineer/Research Scientist in Research at iRobot in the Government/Industrial
division, mostly working on the DARPA ChemBots project. I
loved my job, but decided to try something living somewhere new. If
you're wondering why I chose Iceland, you should look more closely at Iceland.
If you are looking for my previous Master's and Doctoral work, follow
this link to get to my old work webpage.
Useful links for Iceland travelers.
- Iceland Air, one of
the few legal ways on and off the island.
- Flybus -- airport bus
and tours outside of the Reykjavik area.
- Stræto -- the city bus for Reyjkavik
- BK Kjúklingur -- Best damn restaurant in Iceland. They make fried chicken and other chicken accessories. They're also affiliated with the local weight lifting club.
- Málakaffi Restaurant -- Traditional Icelandic food for very reasonable prices
- Sægreifinn "The Sea Barron" -- Good place for lunch near our office
- Tiger! -- Importer of cheap stuff from Asia
- Goóði hirðirinn "Good Shepard" -- Used stuff store affiliated with a trash company. Go here first when trying to get appliances or furniture unless you are made of money.
- Ikea Iceland has tastier meatballs than in the US
- Spaceweather - helps predict when there will be Northern Lights
- Hakkavélin --
- SLATUR -- artists
selling electronics for artists
- CCP Games -- Makers of Eve Online and other MMORPGAS in Iceland
- Iceland Institute for Intelligent
Machines is the AI lab of Iceland as part of Reykjavik
- Audio IS - good place to
get car stero installation hardware
- CAR MED - Amazing car repair shop run by Siggi Kralski in
Dalvegur 24, Kopavogur. Excellent work, very reasonable prices. "I
do this right for you."
Interesting video/media, sometimes with me in it
The other big reason to use the int0rnet and the web specifically is good old
Things That I currently do for fun:
Things that I used to do:
Fun Stuff and Timewasters
Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA)
Backup Software and High Availability Systems
- hdup - software for doing backups onto a RAID
- sdvdbackup - Splits filesets intelligently and burns to CD/DVD.
- AMANDA - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (appears to be down).
- DAR - Dish ARchiver.
Understands removable media.
Linux Software Raid wiki - replacing the very outdated HOWTO
Useful Things (many by me)
- Bonsai Kittens - Ancient
art of bottled pets courtesy of Dr. Wang Chung.
$Id: home.html 88 2015-09-17 00:15:49Z foley $