Useful Gateways and Services
- SIPB CGI Scripts
- SIPB Services
- Other Useful MIT related Services
SIPB Web Services
- HDML Wireless Web Script
- Access services such as finger, zwrite, zlocate from
your wireless phone.
- Comment script
- Learn how to use the comment
script in your home page. Users will have a more friendly
interface to send you email.
- Web page usage counter
- Learn how to use our simple web page counter.
- Locate Athena users using the
- Zephyr is a distributed messaging system developed at MIT available
athena-dist. This gateway allows you to locate where on the Athena
distributed network a user is logged in. For example, you can see if
any of the
webmasters are currently logged in.
- Zwrite gateway
- Contact MIT students from the web via zephyr.
- Get current weather information and Boston forecast
- This is a point and click map of the US which
will then retrieve current weather conditions and forecasts for that
- A finger gateway
- This gateway will return useful finger information for as many places as
possible. If you know of a place where it isn't as useful as it could
be, let us know. Right now, querying athena.dialup.mit.edu
is a way to demonstrate one of the nifty features.
- Acronym database gateway
- Look up entries in the "Whats" acronym database.
- TransWeb allows anyone with a forms or imagemap capable web
browser to make transparent gifs
- Interface to the
- Cview displays information on free Athena workstations broken down by
Other Useful Services
- Computer virus
- IS&T information on Virus Protection.
- Athena and SIPB AFS cells
- AFS is a the Andrew File System, a distributed file system used at MIT
and dozens of other sites. The SIPB maintains an AFS cell of its own
and exports the SIPB and Athena cells to the web.
- The MITSFS Pinkdex
- An on-line index of the MIT Science Fiction Society library, the largest
science fiction collection in the world.
- OLC Stock
Answers to Common Questions
- The Online Consultants answers to common questions. Includes answers to
many questions about using Athena.
- Search the MIT Student
and Staff Directory.
- A gateway to the MIT PhoneBook server, with information on MIT staff and
- MIT community
Workstation Cluster maps
maintain a set of maps of various workstation clusters around MIT.
- A machine information
- This gateway provides DNS information about hostnames, and can handle
queries for hostnames which involve odd DNS hacks, like www.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
- SIPB documents
- Information on everything from AFS, to Linux, to Zephyr, to SIPB itself.
- Usenet FAQs sorted by group
- Free Software Foundation
- FTP site for the Free
Software Foundation, pre-release
- Growth of the Web and Internet
- Matthew Gray's report documents
the growth of the web since mid-1993. The early data was
collected using Matthew's World Wide Web Wanderer, the first
Oxford English Dictionary
- A monster dictionary -- available to MIT people on the Web.